Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:35:32 -0800
I would expect the shorter antenna to have a higher current
maximum due to a lower radiation resistance. The longer
antenna should have a lower current maximum, but the current
will be distributed over a larger area. Thus I would expect the
longer antenna to have slightly higher directivity and probably
higher efficiency due to the higher radiation resistance (lower
average I -> lower I^2*R losses). These differences in gain and
efficiency between the 88' antenna and the 100' antenna should
be fairly small, however, provided that you can deliver power
efficiently to the feedpoint of the shorter antenna, which as
Gary, Tom, and others have pointed out can be no small
problem.