Re: [TowerTalk] RF Inquiry HI-Q Filter CF5KV?

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <kd4e@verizon.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Inquiry HI-Q Filter CF5KV?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:49:27 -0800
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>

> As Tom pointed out, some mfrs claim performance that defies rational
> expectation, basing their optimistic estimates on "designed to" or the
> results of  poor measurement technique.  While, as a RF professional, I'd
> love to see real, calibrated test data on ham products, I'm also a
realist,
> and recognize that I don't want to pay for it, so I'm willing to accept
> whatever the actual performance is, based on a knowledge of the internal
> design (or other factors) and ignore the manufacturer's claims.

This is where the ARRL could help. The have a very nice
lab that all past and present members have helped to pay
for. They could easily test stuff like this a publish the data
in short product reviews on their website (I checked and didn't
see anything from Radio Works or RF Inquiry). In fact, if you
look in the their RFI handbook, they have, for instance, swept
frequency response data for a whole bunch of different TVI
filters that they tested.