Re: [TowerTalk] looking for rohn J bolts and TB4 bearings

To: "z-TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] looking for rohn J bolts and TB4 bearings
From: "Roger Borowski" <K9RB@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:24:54 -0500
Free information is mostly worth what you pay for it! I might suggest that
if you decide to take the route below for your antenna support structure
mounting, you do some investigation on the yield and tensile strengths of
various all thread steel. A good place to find information is at
McMaster-Carr, who is an industrial supplier of items such as this. They
have all thread ranging from 4140 grade steel to the inexpensive grade 2
material sold in most hardware and Home Depot stores, with a half dozen
grades in between. You'll find that it is not all "the same material" and
then be able to make a more informed decision as to whether you'd prefer
your structure supported by grade 2 common hardware all thread or something
rated significantly higher in strength. You'll also find out that you'll get
what you pay for in quality and strength of steel and I believe it's not the
place to save dollars, where everything supported by these chosen rods are
at risk. You can, of course, hire a P.E. to determine what grade of steel
your particular installation requires with an appropriate margin of safety,
but it's less expensive and safer to buy the best and I've used 4140 steel
all thread from McMaster-Carr for towers I've installed and have yet to be
bitten by overkill, except in some extra cost of materials. I certainly
wouldn't want to just make a statement that anything you can find in a
hardware store will be OK. Although it may work in your application, I
certainly don't agree with that "one size fits all" recommendation. ALSO,
Insure that the nuts you use also meet the specifications of the all thread
you choose! They are also available of many different strength steels also.
Do a Google search for McMaster-Carr and get an education on hardware. I
have no interest in this company but can say that they have all the
specifications spelled out on everything they sell and usually have
everything the sell in stock. They are not the least expensive source, by
any stretch of the imagination, but they supply you with a wealth of
information, in addition to great customer service, quick delivery, and the
highest quality products.
I have personally used them often, despite their somewhat high pricing, as
it would be a sad day if this place went belly up. I know of no other close
competitor with the variety of products they carry, nor the in depth
information they provide. Want an education on wire rope or chains, there's
also no better place. This is just one more item just taken for granted as
many people believe that "one size fits all". They have an totally
unbelievable selection with descriptions of the differences and strengths.
Their catalog has >3300 pages!
Best Wishes, -=Rog-K9RB=-
(Not a P.E., but a retired metallurgist and M.E. with a Fortune 50 company
for lots of years)

    You don't need anything special. You can use allthread from your local
hardware store - it's the same material. Just double nut a couple of big
washers
at the bottom and you'll be in business. US Towers welds nuts on their
anchor
rods but this'll do the same thing.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC