Re: [TowerTalk] Soliciting opinions on SGC SG-230 remote ATU

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soliciting opinions on SGC SG-230 remote ATU
From: "Floyd Sense" <fsense@copper.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:53:23 -0500
Unless SGC has drastically changed the unit, it doesn't meet either of your
requirements.  While reasonably sealed against moisture, SGC recommended
covering the unit with something (such as a plastic bucket, etc.) to protect
its plastic housing from the elements, particularly UV.  Separate wiring was
required to supply power to the unit, and I found the optional "Smart-Lock"
control head a valuable addition to the shack as you could tell from the
LEDs when a tuning solution had been reached and you could also force a
reset and cause it to retune by pressing a button or two.  My memory is
fading, but I believe that unit added another 5 wires to the control cable
requirement.

While the unit never failed to tune properly, I found it to be prone to
lightning damage, and I'm not talking about a hit or near-hit.  If I ever
used such a tuning unit again, I'd make sure I had adequate surge protection
on all the control lines and that the antenna (and control lines) could be
easily and remotely disconnected from the tuner when not in use.

K8AC