Re: [TowerTalk] lighting "umbrella"

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <jimjarvis@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lighting "umbrella"
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:00:17 -0500
Hi Gary,

In my case, I use clip on ferrite chokes.  Type 73, from
radioworks.  Coax shields are grounded at the SPG.  Ferrites isolate
the shield exteriors from RF, so the antennas aren't tied together.
When I had the tower up, I used the same scheme, except the ferrites
were in the form of T4G 'line isolators'.

In Doc's case, he can ground the shields at the tower base, and
pretty much go straight into the house from there.

Regardless of whether there's a direct wire connection or not,
you can get induced currents flowing in the "secondary
windings" of the single turn transformer....where the lightning
strike is the primary.

N2TK msg'd me privately.  Tony has the best SPG installation I've
ever seen.  Really nicely done.  His reaction:  "one of these days,
I'm gonna get busted for not disconnecting the gear during storms."

So, you do the best you can, and recognize that insurance coverage
is probably worthwhile.  :)

Jim Jarvis
410 439 1073 office
443 618 5560 cell