Re: [TowerTalk] w1gkk & big arrays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] w1gkk & big arrays
From: "Frank Donovan" <donovanf@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:32:10 -0500
Jim,

W1GKK's QTH was in an old house in the city,
surrounded by very close-in tall mountains!

DX savvy and operating skill, not antennas, were
big factor's in George's success.  Those who were active
in that era will recall big antennas were not as common
as today.   A monobander and a KW placed him well
in the upper tier of DXers, despite his disadvantaged QTH.

If you heard W1GKK in a pileup during a Don Miller
or Gus Browning DXpedition; he got through right away
while most of the other big DXers (many with tribanders
or less) continued to bray away.  George has one of the
big signals of the era.  Not as big as W6AM or K2GL,
but one of the big signals for sure.

George's 20 meter only strategy was also common
among DXers in that era.

73!
Frank
W3LPL