Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "Bill Aycock" <baycock@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:49:34 -0500
> Any tree or structure type in a given location has as good
a chance as
> the next to be hit. A grounded tower has about the same
chance of being
> hit as an ungrounded one. Conductivity of an object has
little to do
> with its chance of being hit by lightning.

I'll go along with that. I sure can't think of a reason why
resistance or sap content would control or affect chances of
being hit.

Perhaps the height or shape has something to do with it. The
shape can affect the voltage gradient around the tree. The
height could make a difference. Not the conductivity.

73 Tom