Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning & trees
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:59:53 -0500
Earlier today I was showing our college math teacher the "Physics for
Criminal Justice Majors" course materials from 1974 when I attended
Northeastern University.

As we thumbed through the mimeographed pages (no textbook existed at
the time) I observed that I had no idea what the formulas meant,
even though some were written in my handwriting on the note pages!

Although I passed the course I remain a physics-challenged Ham.

That said, I think I may have a better sense of the issues now.

The multiple-variable point is well-taken such that the best path
is a moving target.

As for the resistance/potential issue I was speculating as to
best path without intending to isolate resistance as a decisive
factor -- wondering aloud just what it is that at any moment makes
one object versus others more prone to send out streamers and thus
become at least momentarily more attractive.

It is reasonable to postulate that conductivity-of-the-moment causes
energy to move through an particular object (or assorted elements in
conductive moisture in the air) more so than another?

doc

> It seems to me the answer lies in the unpredictability of the "best path."
>
> You have to look at that equation in four dimensions: co-ordinate geometry
> set against time.
>
> Variations in humidity and wind currents mean that at any given second, the
> "best path" may not be what it appears to be ** at that moment **.
>
> As well, if a charge builds up 10 feet from a tree, adding the ground
> resistance to the tree's resistance may mean that moving through the ground
> to the tree and into the air isn't the path of least resistance, just going
> straight into the air may be.
>
 > I'd like to know some physical reason why a change in resistance
would > make the cloud to tree potential change. That's what doesn't make

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

           |_|___|_|
           | | & | |
              {|
      /\      {|
     /  \     {|
    /    \    {|
============\ #    West Central Florida
http://bibleseven.com/steelhouse1.html
Ham PC = 100% Linux Novell-Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, MFJ, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!