[TowerTalk] Rechargable Batteries for a MFJ-259B Antenna Analyzer

To: "Tower Talk (mail list)" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rechargable Batteries for a MFJ-259B Antenna Analyzer
From: "Richard Thorne" <rmthorne@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:25:50 -0600
I recently purchased an MFJ-259B analyzer.  I want to go with Nicad or
NiMh rechargable batteries.

I'd like to know what type of charging cirucuit is inside the 259b.
Theres an internal option to enable or disable its charging circuit.

If I disable the internal charging circuit can I use an external
nicad/nimh charger without damaging anything?  I have a specialized
charger that charges NiCads, NiMh, Lithium's, ect that I use for my
remote control airplanes.  It would be nice to use this so I wouldn't
have to depend on the 259b's internal charger which would take up to 14
hours to charge.

Without a schematic of the analyzer I can't determine this on my own.  A
call to MFJ technical support was not much help either.

Thanks.

Rich Thorne
ARS: N5ZC
AMA: N5ZC