[TowerTalk] porcupines and chemical ground

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <jimjarvis@ieee.org>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] porcupines and chemical ground
From: "Peter Grillo" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:26:11 -0700
Now that this thread has shot enough holes in spline balls made by
www.ligtningeliminators.com , or so called porcupines, what can you all
recommend for my situation on top of Buckhorn mountain, elevation 8350 feet
overlooking the front range of Colorado near Ft. Collins?  My property has
been hit three times in the past 5 years.  None of these hits have been on a
tower.  One hit a power pole near the road.  The latest hit (8/23/04) wiped
out all my plugged in equipment.  The strike hit the metal roof of my house
(not grounded) and found a path to the neutral circuit.  7 breakers popped.
Replacement cost for the damaged equipment was around $13,000 of which my
insurance paid 80%.

I am putting up a 120' Rohn 45 tower (obtained from K4XS) later in the
spring and I want to do it right.  I've dug the holes.  The ground is mostly
broken down granite. There is lots of pine tree growth in the area with very
loose earth.  All trees within 20 feet of the guy cables will have been
cleared.  The base of the tower sits in a nice bowl surrounded by two large
boulders.  It is located about 250' from the house, about 60' higher in
elevation.  I'm thinking of installing a Chem-rod grounding optimization
system made by the same company listed above that makes spline balls. Is
there any value in this? I know many of you will tell me that it all depends
on the surrounding terrain.  That I know, but I'm looking at attempting to
improve the ground so as to direct the hits to the tower and not the house.

My first thought is to run a solid copper cable from the tower down to the
power pole ground stake (about 80 feet from the base of the tower).  Then, I
would stake ground rods along the length of this run about 8-10 feet apart
depending on interference from surrounding boulders.

Experienced help in this area is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
W0RTT