Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum grading

To: "Tom Hellem" <tomhellem@czo.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum grading
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:37:52 -0800
At 07:11 AM 3/28/2005, Tom Hellem wrote:
>Hi All:
>My local scrapyard has several pieces of 6105-T6, 12' long,  1.9" dia. with
>a .109 wall thickness. Was thinking about using it for a boom for a 6 meter
>beam. Can't seem to find any tables on the web that explain the specs for
>each grade of aluminum, i.e. yield strength, etc., so can compare the
>different grades to the ones commonly used by beam manufacturers such as
>6061-T6. Can anyone point me to such an animal, or tell me if my boom is
>going to hold up or fold up?
>
>Thanks
>Tom K0SN
>Porterfield, WI

Http://www.matweb.com/ is a good source for metal properties.. They have a
6105-T5 and a 6105-T1... (although, oddly, it didn't have mechanical
properties for those two alloys)

What you want is the "Aluminum Design Manual" or the "Specification for
Aluminum Structures" from the Aluminum Association
(http://www.aluminum.org/) of course.. they'll want you to buy it..

However, there is an online site:
http://www.asia-aec.org/home.htm which you can enter your alloy  6105-T5 gives:

262 MPa utltimate tension (38ksi)  (6061T6 310 MPa)
241 MPa yield tension (35ksi)        (6061T6 260 MPa)

(Don't use tensile strength as shear strength, they tend to be
significantly different)

Another site gives Young's modulus as 69.589 GPa

A bit of googling will find data... but not in a handy  comparative table.

Part of it is that different alloys get used for different things
(extrusion vs welding vs casting) and mfrs sort of specialize (no one mfr
makes all alloys).