Re: [TowerTalk] receiver protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] receiver protection
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:03:58 -0500

> I am looking at a design for receiver protection in an
> SO2R environment that involves a series resistance (#49
> bulb) and stacks of back to back diodes shunting the receiver
> input.  The objective is to protect front-end components
> against strong out-of-band signals, but in the process I
> don't want to incur an intermod penalty under normal operation.

20 years ago or so DEO (the QSK-1500) had a receiver front-end
protector that was a Chicago Miniature #12 lamp in the receive
line followed by a back to back pair of either two or three
1N4148 diodes in series (can't remember and don't have one to
take apart) ... lamp was between the diodes and the antenna.

ICE shows a receiver protector - I don't know what they have in
it.  See:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/reconly.html#rflimiter

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK