[TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Sites and Security

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote Antenna Sites and Security
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:58:48 -0800
I was talking to a friend of mine recently about the frustrations
of low-band DXing from a small city lot and the possibility
of purchasing some land in the boonies for purposes of building
up a remote antenna farm. Although my friend sympathized with
my desires, he tried to discourage from pursuing a remote
site suggesting that the attractive nuisance factor of sites like
these is a very real and difficult problem to solve.  Specifically
he said that when he was a partner in a remote site, vandalism
and theft was a constant battle to the point that one of the
three partners in site had to stay at there all the time to
discourage wayward youth from breaking into the shack and
stealing equipment or just cutting guys wires for the pleasure
of watching a 100 ft tower fall down.

I would like to hear from anyone on the list who has had
experience with operating a remote site antenna farm.
Specifically I am interested in what if any problems you have
had with security and what steps you had to take to secure  the
site. Is this a winnable battle or an exercise in futility?

Thanks,