Re: [TowerTalk] 2 antennas

To: wy3d@usa.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 antennas
From: Jamesnf@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:59:15 EDT
In a message dated 4/3/2005 1:21:16 PM Central Standard Time, wy3d@usa.com
writes:
I had a guy tell me last night that he runs a vertical and a dipole on 80
meters in parallel so he'll get simultaneous horizontal and vertical
polarization.  This sounds like a crazy idea and I believe it won't work, but
exactly why
won't it work?

Frank  WY3D
Frank:

Depends what you mean by "work."  I know of more than one "big gun"
milti-multi contest station  that uses this trick.  Frequently, on 80 meters,
they use
a four square vertical system and a low dipole yielding potent directional,
low angle radition for dx from the four square and an omni-directional high
angle signal to let the stateside crowd know they're using the freq!  In this
case, running the antennas in parallel means separate feeds from the shack,
possibly even from separate amps.

Note:  please, no lectures directed at me folks.  I don't condone this
practice, I just know it exists.

Jim