[TowerTalk] Winch for TX-455

To: "Tower Talk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winch for TX-455
From: "Jim Venneman" <wx6v@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:19:48 -0700
Howdy,

I am in the process of putting up a TX-455 (circa 1993 model - probably
pre-U.S. Tower) that is in need of a new winch. The existing winch is very
rusty (it still turns OK) and does not have a locking mechanism. Any
identifying information on the thing has long since faded away. Any suggestions
on where I can find a replacement winch for this tower? U.S. Towers does not
list winches as replacement parts on their website and I imagine they would
charge a hefty price for one anyway.

I would imagine that winches come in all types and sizes. Is the critical
dimension the distance between the two mounting bolts for mouting on the tower?
In other words, how do I select the correct type, given a choice of various
models?

Thanks,

Jim  -WX6V-