[TowerTalk] When a Yagi Looses an Element

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] When a Yagi Looses an Element
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:36:53 EDT
Thanks for all the advice on fixing my 4 el 40 KLM monster.  After digesting
all of it I think I have hit upon a plan.

This monster was trammed up in the summer of 98 and has been one of my
favorites.  It was trammed to the top of the 200 footer using a standard on
line
tram system with a truck at the bottom to provide the horsepower.

Since it has been up for seven years and has weathered two hurricanes it
might be time to see if there is other damage that it not readily apparent.
Therefore, I will be tramming it down to the ground for a close inspection and
possibly install the new DX-Engineering boom to element mounts that were
recommended.

As far as balancing the now unbalanced beam, I plan to use a come-along to
'pull' the boom through the mast to boom plate enough to get the antenna more
or
less balanced prior to tramming it down.

Getting this antenna up was not a job for the faint hearted, but with lots of
experience since 97 it should be easy enough to get down without a crane
(cost factor $1000 plus), and back up.

I plan on doing this within the next two weeks and will let you all know how
it goes.

Bill  K4XS