Re: [TowerTalk] simultaneous Horizontal and Vertical antennas

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] simultaneous Horizontal and Vertical antennas
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:55:12 -0400
Gary (TT):

FM Stations transmit circular polarization,
which results in signals being 3dB down in
any single plane, but less susceptible to
selective fading/interference problems,
particularly with subcarrier content.

Not to forget, they're only concerned with line
of sight, which eliminates the problem of
ionospheric scrambling of the polarization.

As to your 10m experience, you didn't indicate
what the spatial relationship of the two antennas
might be. I assume they were the CB type, on a common
boom, if you actually fed them circularly.

My belief is that you experienced the diversity effect,
where the sum is down 3dB from peaks on either antenna,
but the signal dips are filled in.  It's more likely
due to differences in arrival angles, rather than
polarization, by the way.  Most stuff is coming in
horizontally polarized, once it goes through the ionosphere,
or so I've read.

N2EA