Re: [TowerTalk] PAY-ME-NOW-OR-PAY-ME-LATER

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PAY-ME-NOW-OR-PAY-ME-LATER
From: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:57:02 -0600
I certainly forgot about the concrete in the pipe.  It is true that you paid
for it and when it is wash out time, your property is the receptacle (unless
you have made other plans in advance). Fortunately, I had the pump operator
dump it in several small spots and I broke it into small pieces so that I could
bag and dispose. It amounted to less than half a wheelbarrow load. However,
pumping beats hauling and the older you get, the more sense it makes (to your
bones, muscles, ego, etc) to choose the former. You also do not require a
vibrator.

If you are worried about your ego, it will heal long before the bones and
muscles (if they ever do). I also have done my share of "What the heck was I
thinking?" things. Back in the day, I could bench 500 pounds and squat with
700.  Now that I have passed the early fifties, I know those days are long past
and have severely reduced the chance taking process.  Most of the time my brain
(often clouded with trivia and the desire to work every bit of DX) prevents my
"Jaybird butt" from performing stupid actions. "Know your limitations" is a
great adage to practice beforehand.

In addition, one can never, ever have too much help, tools, and/or materials if
they are all of the correct type. As soon as an SWR analyzer arrives, I will be
optimizing my yagis, erecting the tower, and mounting everything. It is
becoming pretty obvious that a crane will be required for the tower portion. I
am currently using all the knowledgeable help that I can muster to make this a
smooth operation. This includes those who are now "sidewalk supervisors"
because wisdom is a great thing to include on your side!

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS