Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower
From: "Jerry K3BZ" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:03:14 -0400
Doug wrote: "...leg compression will be increased with properly tensioned
guys."  Well, of course it will.

But why do guys on a self-supporting tower have to be "properly tensioned"?
I thought they would be just for "insurance", a little extra support when
there's a little extra wind, or as a last stop-gap against a catastrophic
failure, or with aluminum towers, to limit the motion that "eggs out" the
bolt-holes. Why not make such guys "snug" but not "tensioned"?

73,  Jerry K3BZ