Re: [TowerTalk] HF Antennas - Need Input

To: keith@dutson.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF Antennas - Need Input
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:38:07 -0400
Keith:   My reply addressed the word "excellent".  It is all a matter of
what one wants the antenna array to do. I am a firm believer in stacks;
I just can't afford to reconfigure just now.  Food, shelter and xyls
needs come first.

Antenna arrays often are discussed as more "it works for me" than
exactly what it does for one compared to what others may want.   I am
glad you are happy with yours.  My yagi at 40 feet is a result of
discussions on the tower talk reflector, and my thanks to N4KG (I think)
several years ago.  During the middle of an opening it is often much
better to EU on 20/15/10  than the tall one.  A stacked  pair at 40 and
80 will cover all the angles from the east coast, which is ideal as EU
is where the points come from.  The same array will be marginally less
effective to the pacific.  A pair at 80-120 will be at least 3db better
to Pacific ALL of the time.  The 80-120 stack would be a poor choice to
cover all of the EU angles from here.

My array works...as a matter of fact my antenna farm was used to take
the assumed first place usa low power in the last arrl ssb dx test. I
was not the op.   That said, my station is weak to the pacific rim, and
not what I would like.  Going higher is the only way I can improve
that.  My point was only to help people think about what they want
rather than do what others are happy with, when circumstances might be
very different.   I was not very effective at getting my point across.
73 bob de w9ge