Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR Rotor/tower/polyrod question

To: "Bill Rohrer" <w7ij@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR Rotor/tower/polyrod question
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:49:20 -0700
Bill,

We have had good luck at W6UE turning a KLM KT34XA
stacked over a KLM 40M4 both with heavy duty "ICE" booms
(1/4 wall x 3" O.D.) using the M-squared OR-2800. This
stack of antennas weighs 300lbs and is about 20 sqft of
windload, so it is probably a reasonable comparison to the
MonsterIR in terms of rotator load.

I have been hearing bad things about the Prosistel "Big Boy",
so I would steer clear of them. A local contester had a
bunch of them fail at his station and he is changing them
out with something else.

As far as the guys go, I wouldn't go with the steel guys unless
they were broken up properly with insulators. I have operated
from two stations in my life that had really impressive looking
antennas that didn't work worth a darn in practice. In both
cases the antennas were on towers with uninsulated steel
guys.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like a nice setup in the
making.