Re: [TowerTalk] 1 5/8" hardline to N female?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1 5/8" hardline to N female?
From: billmilosz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:23:49 -0400
Sorry, I guess I didn't give enough info.

This antenna is a Harris Skytiller SKH tuned to 106.7 MHz donated to a
nonprofit group for use in LPFM service.  This is a commerical
circularly-polarized VHF antenna. Installation details of the 10-watt xmitter
reqires use of very flexible cable, hence some kind of RG-8X must be employed.
(Besides it's not really necessary to use 1 5/8 hardline at 10 watts.... though
I'm sure the loss would be low, LOL) Hence, the need for N-to-1 5/8 adapter,
and the volunteer / nonprofit nature of the project prohibits spending $200 for
a commerical adpater.

SWR measurements were made with an MFJ-259B at the resonant frequency of 106.7,
in addition I swept up and down and indeed it does reach a minima around 106.7-
although the slope to the minima is a gentle one.  I also tried the transmitter
and a decent quality directional power meter just in case my MFJ-259B was
malfunctioning, but the results agreed between the two methods-  SWR greater
than 5:1