Re: [TowerTalk] Previous Feb 74 HR magazine

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Previous Feb 74 HR magazine
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:49:48 -0700
Are you looking for the raw equations, a hand calculation method, or a
computer program to solve the problem?

For the latter, get a copy of the (free) transmission line spreadsheet
XLZIZL from AC6LA.  It's an Excel spreadsheet (with a whole pile of VBA
included) that can do what you want, and more.  It's quite easy to use, and
has appropriate hooks for solving things.  Of particular interest is that
there's a fairly complete list of various transmission line characteristics
included.

If you're looking for either of the first two, give some more details, and I
can probably help you find it.
The equations are in the ARRL Antenna book, and maybe the handbook, but I
don't recall if either has a "cookbook" solution method to find the lengths.
..)

I would imagine that most techniques for solving the problem you describe
are iterative in some way (whether by using Excel's solver, finding a curve
on a Smith chart, etc.), although, with some appropriate simplifying
assumptions (i.e. lossless lines), you can probably come up with an analytic
equation using inverse hyperbolic funcitons.