Re: [TowerTalk] on guying towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] on guying towers
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:18:43 -0400
I do not disagree with the rebar fully imbedded in concrete approach.  I
do have a question about it tho.....for bridges, overpasses, buildings
etc it makes good sense.  But for a tower job that likely has a life
expectancy of less than say 25 years (hams move, lose interest, become
sk's etc) before the tower comes down can anyone postulate or provide
evidence of concrete block degredation during that time frame because
the re-bar rusted, or water infiltrated due to exposed rebar.  My common
sense tells me we are really doing things with a belt and suspenders
approach.  What contradicts my common sense thinking?  This is only to
be considered an educational exercise, not a license to violate building
codes or common concrete practices.  73 bob de w9ge