Re: [TowerTalk] GUY WIRE TENSION

To: "N4BAA - JOSE CASTILLO" <n4baa@cox.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GUY WIRE TENSION
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:20:54 -0400
I'm certainly not a professional tower installer, but I believe the tension
depends on the guy wire used not the height of the tower.  10% of the
breaking strength is what I've seen recommended, or about 400lbs for 3/16"
EHS 600 lbs for 1/4" EHS.

Since the guys will expand and contract with temperature, I like to adjust
it to the correct tension when the temperature outside is about the average
year-round temperature for my location.  I'm not sure what the pros
recommend on that one.

I'm not aware of that general rule being different for rotating vs. fixed
towers, but then again I've never worked on a rotating tower.

Tom, NI1N