[TowerTalk] Bracing an extended bracketed antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bracing an extended bracketed antenna
From: "David Wieland" <dwieland@approis.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:29:47 -0400
I've got a tower, originally for TV, that was recently extended to get me
wireless Internet broadband service.  It's of fairly heavy duty construction
(so I'm told) that uses 1-1/4" tubing with horizontal cross braces and a drive
pin base.  With the wireless antenna installer's additions, it's now about 66'
tall, including the 20' mast that the square radio unit is mounted on.
However, the only bracing is a second story wall brace just under 20' above the
ground.

The extension  was done in two phases with a second 10' tower section added to
get a stronger signal.  When that was done, the installer recommended adding a
guy kit.  Two of the wires could be attached to the roof, but he was going to
attach the third to the 10" trunk of a pine tree.  I was skeptical of that
solution, so we decided to forego the guys while I monitored the situation.

Recent windy weather has made me decide that further bracing is needed.  But
what's the best way?  Is there some kind of rigid, 2-point roof bracing that
could angle up from the edge of the roof?  If not, could a third guy wire be
anchored directly in the ground but run over a short pole that would keep it
from being a lawn mowing obstacle?

David Wieland
Kars (Ottawa), Ontario