Re: [TowerTalk] Comments on Array Solutions "dissimilar antennas"

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comments on Array Solutions "dissimilar antennas"
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:52:07 -0700
At 11:12 AM 5/13/2005, Keith Dutson wrote:
>Jim Lux wrote
> >The stacking thing is, I maintain, not about eking out gain, but where that
>gain is pointed.  And for that phase errors do make a difference.  Whether
>it's important is another story.
>
>You bet it's important for DX contacts.

It's important, but the question is whether "knowing" the beam elevation
angle is important. Perhaps the fact that it can be changed with the flip
of a switch is the important thing.

It would be very interesting if someone with connections at LOFAR could
look at actual arrival angles.  LOFAR is a huge HF/VHF phased array in
Europe using supercomputers and so forth to do the processing.
http://www.lofar.org/  The "core" of the array could easily look at arrival
angles on signals from the US.  In fact, they already have to do this to
"null out" RFI sources that are in band (such things as broadcast stations,
etc.).