Re: [TowerTalk] Sturba Curtains

To: "bob finger" <finger@goeaston.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sturba Curtains
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:46:49 -0400
> I have an 8 element 17 meter Sterba hanging in the barn.
I built it but
> never got it in the air...too ungainly for the trees I
have to hang it
> from.  Ed:

You can easily run into pattern problems when Sterbas or
Bruce arrays become large. Since each element is fed from
another, phase errors add. That means you have to build them
carefully and operate over a narrow frequency range if the
antenna is large. I was lucky to cover the lower end of 40
with one I built years ago.

A better choice would a distributed feed curtain or USIA
array. Much wider bandwidth (actually can cover about 2.6:1
frequency range or more) and better gain.