Re: [TowerTalk] measuring and using the term impedance

To: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring and using the term impedance
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:55:26 -0400
> If I remember right, it doesn't tell you the sign of the
reactance - you
> have to dope that out by shifting the frequency a little
and seeing if it
> goes up or down with plus or minus change in freq., so
it's not all THAT
> simple...

Some analyzers do that automatically.

The problem is watching X change while you vary frequency
does not tell you the correct sign of the reactance once
transmission lines are in the system.

Sometimes it is correct, sometimes it is not.

It is always correct on a test bench when you have a lumped
component, so if you have a lumped component attached to the
connector you can tell the sign.

73 Tom