[TowerTalk] connecting a copper wire to a galvanized tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] connecting a copper wire to a galvanized tower
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:17:48 -0500
There has been previous discussion on TT about how to connect copper wires
to a galvanized tower (e.g., for lightening ground protection or when the
tower is to be used as a radiator).

My electrician has suggested to me what appears to be an especially simple
and inexpensive solution for this need---the use of an aluminum alloy
"mechanical lug" that bolts to whatever and has a screw-down clamp for the
conductor. These lugs are available at any electric supply house and come
in two sizes. The smaller one costs a little more than a dollar handles
down to #6 wire. The larger one costs a little more than $2 and will handle
down to #2 copper wire). The 1/4 inch hole is perfect for the smaller bolt
on a Rhon-25 tower leg. The ones I found locally are manufactured by Ideal
Industries. The package says clearly "for copper or aluminum conductors"
and in a Google search I found the following description

"The Power-Connect mechanical lug line includes lugs that are UL-listed for
600VAC for wire ranges of 6 to 14AWG through 1000 to 500kcmil cable, and
are acceptable for use to 2000V. Lugs are dual-rated for both aluminum and
copper conductors and are electro-tin plated, made of high-strength
aluminum alloy. Ideal Industries, Inc."

The instructions say to use an antioxidant (presumably on the conductor
before it is clamped).

Does anyone see a potential problem using these lugs in tower-related
applications?

73,

Bill
K0KT