Re: [TowerTalk] klm_kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] klm_kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:25:38 -0400
I had the same problem with come of the aluminum.  A couple of pieces had
such bad calcium deposits that the small aluminum broke.  I had to order
some from KLM and they shipped it so it got broken in shipping UPS.  I had
ordered the 1985 upgrade kit and got two (the second I had forgotten about).
So I used the aluminum out of this.  I found the same problem in a 4 el
Comet 6 meter beam on the small aluminum pieces at the center of each
element.

MY guess is that something in the aluminum corrodes to calcium in the rain
(acid rain??).   I had to order more from Comet.  Believe it or not they
were a trip to work with.  One guy said the 6 meter antennas come to dealers
direct from Japan and he has No knowledge of them. There were some serious
issues with the diagram (it is not an instruction manual) and the coax
connector.  At least Bruce had some knowledge of his product just not how
tro ship long slender aluminum tubing.

I also got calcium deposits all over the fiberglass pieces on my KT 34XA.
One piece of fiberglass on the first director was so bad that it was almost
all calcium not fiberglass.  One who had the same problem told me to use the
same fiberglass spray on paint that you use on quad spreaders.  He had
enough and I did spray this on all the fiberglass pieces (there are several
per element).  Looks nice with the sky blue pieces!

I don't see how wasps or any similar flying insect can get inside the
elements if the blue caps and end caps are all in place.  I think rain gets
inside the drip holes and/or condenses inside.

73 Dave K4JRB