Re: [TowerTalk] freestanding tower (not crank-up)

To: jc-smith@comcast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] freestanding tower (not crank-up)
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:34:46 EDT
> Now the question: what towers are available that will do this and are they
easy or difficult to climb?  Partial horizontal bracing between legs (as
opposed to all diagonal) would sure be nice.  Round as opposed to flat tower
elements better?

Hi, JC --

    A tower I think you should consider is the self-supporting Trylon Titan.
They are nifty light to medium-duty towers and are the best value in a tower
that I've found. The T500-72, the most popular amateur configuration, is rated
for 45 square feet @ 70 MPH. http://www.championradio.com/towers.html

    They are easy to climb. You just grab the leg with your hands and use the
downward sloping diagonals for steps. They're perfectly spaced and it's just
like climbing vertical stairs. Trying to climb up the face of the tower would
be difficult and is not advised.

    The Titan uses 60 degree angle legs and angle iron diagonals if that's
important. Appurtenances/stand-offs can be attached easily if necessary.

>  While I'm at it, is there any consensus on brands of 2 element, shortened
40
meter Yagis?  I remember the Leasonized (I think that was the term)
Cushcrafts used to be popular.  Wonder if Cushcraft ever beefed the things
up so you don't have to modify them before you use them?  M^2?  HyGain?
Force 12?

    I've never talked to anyone who was very happy with the performance of a
linear loaded 40M antenna. OTOH I've talked to lots of people - me included -
who thought the 2L CC is a great little antenna.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products - a leading Trylon dealer and expert in towers and
tower construction
Cell: 206-890-4188