[TowerTalk] Unsoldered Balun

To: "TowerTalk" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unsoldered Balun
From: "Mark - AA6DX" <AA6DX@ARRL.NET>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:21:42 -0700
Have been following the X7 balun saga, and it sure parallels my experiences
with the infamous Hy-Gain BN-86.  Whilst up your tower this summer, if you have
one of these up there, you might want to take it loose, pop the case and do an
inspection of the solder of the big waaarrrrr coil end that goes to the SO-239.
 A lot of times I have found that a combination of high power and varying
temperature (causing stress, I guess) causes the solder to let loose when
warmed.  Matter of fact, most "blown" BN-86s I have seen actually just suffered
this malady.  Readily checked if broken with an ohm meter, but better if not
during a contest this fall!  I used small copper wire wrapped several turns at
the connection, before re-soldering, and never had one fail (from THAT problem)
afterwards.   They also are a prime housing unit for spiders and other nesting
critters.  Don't know about the presently offered units, as I have not bought
nor worked on one in several years!  Then, I guess, we
  could discuss the W2AU "antenna fuse" .. (CQ CQ --where'd everybody go?)
73, Mark  AA6DX    Eureka, FAR Northern California