[TowerTalk] "Don't do it, Bob", rethought

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Don't do it, Bob", rethought
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:50:43 -0400
First, appologies for top-commenting, but Bob's latest is reproduced,
with some snipping, below.

Bob, I made a fundamental error in my analysis, which was corrected
in a later post....the load on the winch may well be less than
a ton.  Neglecting a 90' lever arm will do that to a calculation.
You may be able to get away with some added internal lateral braces
in the attic, to handle the load.

Secondly, you may be on to something with the roof support plan.
You WILL want to calculate the vertical loads on the roof, though,
before you go forward...and given my prior track record at quick stabs,
I'm not going there.  And surely not at 5 am, again!

N2TK, privately, has indicated that he has about 1750 lbs load on the
winch in his w3gm falling derrick 45G system.  That has some real
advantages, which you may want to explore with him, one on one.
Tony sent me some .jpg's, which I'd be happy to forward to you, if
you're interested.

Thirdly,  I have a folding mast to boom plate design which I implemented
in my 45G foldover, which I'd be happy to share with you.

Fourthly, and this IS critical...you MUST have guy anchors for your
side guys AT THE SAME HEIGHT, and you must 4 way guy the tower.
Otherwise, there's no hope.  A laser level is necessary to assure this.

Having set aside the structural load issue, my personal concern would be
the proximity to the house.  Once you've got your guys in place and
tightened,
it'll probably be ok...but that first time, when you're working with
calculated
guy lengths....could be squirrely.  Suppose you're a foot short, and it
doesn't
go all the way up?  How do you recover/adjust?

So...my suggestion is, take a look at n2tk's approach, and see if you can
brainstorm from there, to accomodate your site issues.

N2EA

Message: 2