Re: [TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"

To: Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Vertical Advice...Want to use for "spotting"
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:49:06 -0500
Charlie wrote:
> I am getting great results with a ground mounted Hustler 5-BTV. I do have 72
> ground radials in the yard that make up nearly 1300 ft of wire.

I'd have to agree. If you're going to use a vertical no need to spend a
ridiculous amount of money on the others. I just got done setting my
father-in-law up with a GAP dummy load.....errr.....I mean antenna at
his cabin. For half the price he could have had antenna that works like
it's supposed to. He let some salesperson at one the of the big
retailers talk him into the GAP.

It took three reasonably bright Hams 2 hours to get that antenna built
and installed due to the lousy instructions and it's only rated for 300W
on 40m. Kinda makes you wonder if the antenna will take take his AL-80B
on the higher bands.

My 5BTV was 30 minutes solo.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH