Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and? twothrustbearing

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and? twothrustbearings)
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:04:57 -0400
On 06/10/05 03:43 am Roger K8RI on Tower tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

>>> Thrust bearings normally only need to handle side to side forces. The
>>
>>rotors
>

> Agreed.
>

>>can bear the weight of the antenna(s) and mast with no problem. KC1XX
>>tells
>>me that the locking bolts should all be removed from thrust bearings. Let
>

> I'd sure hate to do that in my system.   Look at my system and tell me what
> a half inch of side play in the  top bushing would do.  That's what I'd have
> if I took out those bolts as there is a quarter inch clearance all the way
> around the mast in the bearings..

>>the rotor hold the vertical load and let the thrust bearings take the
>>horizontal. My thrust bearings have no locking bolts whatsoever. No
>>problems. When I need to take the rotor out, I put some U bolts on the
>>mast.

> There are different systems.
> Mine extends 30 feet above the top of the tower and about 14 feet below the
> top.  The weight minus the rotator is over 600#.  The top bearing would
> serve as a pivot point with basically a 2:1 multiplication.  That means 100#
> side force at the top would be 200
> # of side force at the rotator.  There is also 400 # of weight above the top
> bearing.  when it flexes that is an 800# force that would otherwise be
> appled to the rotator.  The forces far exceed 100# at the top with 70 MPH
> gusts and then the spring in the mast will start an oscillation.  The
> rotator would be holding as much or more side thrust than the top bearing
> and it's not built for that.
>
> In 60 to 70 MPH winds which seem to be more common of late, that top mast
> looks like a blue gill rod that just tied into a bass.  I'm amazed the
> antennas have held together after watching it whip around.

>>   Amen to that, brother. My personal opinion is that mast vertical thrust
>>bearings are highly over-rated and don't really contribute anything of
>>value to
>>the rotating system other than a being a nice mast bushing.

> Agreed again, but you don't want any play in them.  With the mass in my
> system it'd destroy itself if the bolts were removed from the top bearing.

>>   IMO the amateur need for a special thrust bearing is sort of like the
>>amateur perceived need for use of  the 1-foot long "torque arms" that hams
>>have

> If you are talking about the 18" ROHN torque arms they achor at a single
> point and are only relatively fixed.  You end up depending on the amount of
> torque used to tighten them in place.  The *star* system which extends less
> is far more rigid.

>>put great value in for decades but in reality add little or nothing by its
>>use.
>>(The Great Ham Radio Urban Legends?!?)
>>
>>   Rotators are designed to have some preload on them and their bearings.
>>Why do you think all those bearings are there in the first place?!? The
>>T2X has
> [...]

Roger:

Maybe you've had somebody do the calculations and ascertain that
everything is safe, but I definitely do not like the way your system
sounds from your description: that's an enormous load on a long piece of
tube sticking out the top -- and on the top section of tower above the
uppermost guys.

I'd rather go higher with the tower itself and keep the mast to a much
more reasonable length: 2" CM tube is almost as expensive per foot as
additional AN Wireless mast sections,

73

Alan NV8A
Zeeland, MI