Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and ? twothrustbeari

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and ? twothrustbearings)
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:54:21 +0000
(Second time sending this note; first one bounced due to quote marks maybe?)

Steve:

     This is a posting I made some time ago on the subject:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2003-08/msg00163.html .
When I made my posting from a few days ago I had this in mind.

     However, when I wrote below <...this value [axial load limit] was nowhere
near the weight of a typical CM mast, let alone a fully-configured
mast/antennas/coax assembly>,  what I had in mind was that the setscrews on,
say, a two-inch mast could NOT support a typical ham antenna/mast system.   But
if you read the specs at the URL in the 2003 posting, you'll see that the
slippage value for a two-inch mast made by Ruland (the manufacturer shown)
varies from 1200 pounds of axial force (dead weight for a vertical mast/antenna
system) to 8000 pounds, depending on the setscrew size.

     One might be tempted to conclude that in general ALL bearings WILL be able
to support the ANY vertical load we hams can build.  The numbers, above, seem
large enough.  But the manufacturer states in his Disclaimer at the bottom of
his page that these figures represent FAILURE of the setscrew and that the
results <are not a guarantee of average values nor a guarantee of maximum or
minimum values under all conditions.>

BOTTOM LINE:  The thrust value limit of each bearing is finite and we ought to
know what it is and design our tower systems accordingly.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F