Re: [TowerTalk] Getting ground rods OUT

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Getting ground rods OUT
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:44:04 -0400

> As we work on relocation, I have to strike the last vestiges
> of my antenna system.  There are two 8' ground rods, each sticking
> out by something less than a foot.
>
> I'd just pound 'em further in, but they won't budge.  Similarly,
> I can't get enough purchase on them to manually extract them.
> Possibly a tripod & come-along would help...if I could rig some
> sort of chinese finger puzzle linkage.

I use an engine hoise with the legs blocked to keep them from sinking in.
To atach to the ground rod I just use a log chain in a choker fashion.  If
the chain, for some reason can not get a purchase, I do have a heavy duty
clamp that has two jaws that cam shut.  The harder you pull the tighter they
get.

Another possible method is a water drill.  (IF you have enough water and
water pressure).  Just use a galvanized pipe that just nicely fits over the
ground rod.  You'll most likely have to grnd the top of the rod back to
being round if it was driver in,

Many suggest just digging below the surface and cutting them off, but that
does leave the rest for some one to find later on.
All, 30 some ground rods and over 600 feet of bare copper are completely
buried.  If I moved and left those I might have some liability problems

OTOH removing all the ground system and guy anchors would really mess up the
yard.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com