[TowerTalk] Re Source of Aluminum Tubing for Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re Source of Aluminum Tubing for Antennas
From: "Barkey, Patrick M." <pbarkey@bsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:04:47 -0500
This topic comes up all the time, and it is a very good one.  My
experience may not be relevant for some of you, but since it is
a little different than what has been posted so far, I thought I would
share it with you.

I have always made large buys (> 1,000 lbs.) of aluminum from
commercial suppliers.  Typically I will pool my order with other
hams who are building stations.  When you order a lot, not only
will you get a decent price, but they will truck it to your door at
no charge.  Plus, when you deal with a commercial supplier, you
get a big selection, etc.

I usually end up buying all kinds of aluminum - for masts, angle, plate
-- in addition to the raw aluminum tubing.  Make sure you get extra.
And get everything you need, because you can't re-order a few
extra pieces and have it be economical.

You need to be comfortable with the way these people do business.
They do not give you a price list.  They do not (usually) chat with
you on the phone about prices, etc.  You are expected to know what
you want, and ask for a quote on your entire order.  If you don't
know what's available, get yourself a handbook of some kind that
lists standard aluminum sizes/shapes.

My last order went to TW Metals.  Their prices were pretty decent.
On some of the larger OD materials I ordered from Canton Aluminum
(Ohio).  It was a hassle, yes, but mostly because I was asking
for quotes from other places and it took a while to decide what was
the best deal.  And coordinating a group buy is never quick.  But
it has been worth it for me, and I would recommend it to anyone
who buys in quantity.

And don't talk to me about a group buy - I am all tapped out!

  - Pat
    N9RV