Re: [TowerTalk] RE : To paint or not...

To: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>,"'Reicher, James'" <JReicher@hrblock.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE : To paint or not...
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:42:23 -0700
At 03:20 PM 6/16/2005, hermans wrote:
>Someone can explain why, in general, antennas drive the XYL's nuts ?
>
>Jos on4kj

Beause they are ugly to someone who doesn't appreciate what they can do or
what goes into the design and construction. We perceive them favorably
because we appreciate the engineering, especially if it's an elegant
solution or the result of a particularly challenging design problem (think
of those giant EME arrays).

We see a full scale 80m 3 element Yagi and are impressed that a) someone
would actually contemplate building such a thing and b) that they could
actually build it without it falling apart and c) that they could afford to
do so.  This is sort of the same "conspicuous consumption" thing as applies
to antlers on big deer, or to wanting a fast car, etc.

Same thing applies to construction cranes, etc.

I'd venture to say that most antenna engineers, of whatever gender,
appreciate a well designed antenna.

There's also the "what will the neighbors think" aspect.  My wife
appreciates the engineering, etc., but is also aware that while she may be
enlightened with respect to antennas, the neighbors aren't.

For instance, I'll bet more "anti-antenna" lawsuits have been filed at the
behest of a man than a woman.