Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel

To: "(Reflector) TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel
From: "Jerry K3BZ" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:03:26 -0400
Bill... those threaded base sockets are tough to come by. I have that same
old steel clamshell base with the acme screw tiltover arrangement.  You
don't have to sacrifice the sockets.  Just soak them with penetrating oil
and use some wooden 2x4s placed through the tower section below the
bottom-most tower brace, over near the leg, and use a small bottle jack or a
scissor jack sittting on that steel base (or another 2x4) to jack up each
leg until it just moves a little and go to the next, it will be easy. Mine
came loose very easy that way, and didn't destroy the base sockets.

73,  Jerry K3BZ