Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower - Trylon Titan

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing a New Tower - Trylon Titan
From: Bob Smith <na6t@na6t.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:37:43 -0700
I guess this thread 'got a little off center" but I'm glad to see the
input on tower
construction and installation in different cities.

Maybe the secret to all of this is to "check on what kind of
regulations are 'available'
for tower installation in your locality, then 'do what you have to do
to make the install
happen".

I'm with most of you in the 'install the damn thing and let the city
or county sort it out'
when the regulations are 'not clear' as to what they want or what you
have to do.

In some cities and counties  they don't have anything in the regs,
some cities take the
36' accessory structure height limit as 'gospel'.  For example, my
city has that limit and
it has been in effect for about 20 years, but when I asked about my
Tri-ex LM-470 I was told
that I didn't need a permit for a 70' tower, just install it.   I got
a letter from the local city
manager at the time stating these facts, dug the hole and it's been
installed since 1986 with the
original letter in a safe deposit box and a few copies stored other
places, just in case.

Now jump forward to 2005 and i'm installing a 50' Rohn 25 and an 80'
Rohn 25 tower for wireless
connectivity for the same city for use by THE CITY GOVERNMENT and
they had to jump
through their own hoops.  ie: use permits, building permits,
hearings, etc.  6 months and 5
hearings because the towers were installed on CITY
PROPERTY.  However, the city still
doesn't have a building ordinance for installation of a tower
structure on PRIVATE land if the
tower is used for personal communications.  The only ordinance they
have is for towers:

1.  towers installed on city land
2.  cell phone towers installed on public or private land

So, hams win in my city, I hope every one else has as good luck with
their towers as I have,

Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consulting
"Wireless Installations -- Government, Businesses & ISP's"
F.C.C. Licensed-Commercial & Amateur Services
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
1-707-964-4931 w/answering machine
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Message: 6