[TowerTalk] crankups, coax, and rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] crankups, coax, and rotator
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:48:56 -0700
I am about to replace the coax and rotator cabling on my LM470 crankup tower.

FYI the reason for replacing is that the m2 Orion rotator finally quit working
after much losing of its position.  I found that the pigtail connector pins had
literally disintegrated and was replaced by a mucky material.  I had not
waterproofed the connector.  It only took about two years to fail completely.

I didn't use coax stand offs on the mid sections of the crankup because my
"intuition" told me it might be a problem and doesn't help unless the coax was
tied
securely at each standoff (to reduce the weight at the top).  I am considering
using a piece of heavy garden hose to help distribute the weight of the coax
when it bends at the top toward ground.  I am also planning to use LM400 or
LM600 coax--maybe hardline?  I have two towers, one with a 200' and the other
with a 400' run to the shack.

All comments will be appreciated

k7puc