Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier for ROHN SSV. Pad and Pier Foundations

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier for ROHN SSV. Pad and Pier Foundations
From: <isp@bnjcomp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:03:08 -0500
Bob,

Please rember that I don;'t know or have access to a belling machine.  Makes me
kind of paranoid to think about getting 10-12' in a hole and hand belling out
hole.  Are you suggesting a big square hole (have easy access to 70' trackhole
but would have to hire someone out (like a well boring person in our area) if I
wanted a "round" hole) that is size of recomended rohn pad at bottom of pier?

IN my rohn bible book on page SSV-3 is where I am getting my specs.  For a 14N
section:

1.  pier pad combo is 12' down with a 2' X 2' X 2' pad at bottom.  18 yards of
concrete
2.  drill and bell is 14' down with a 6' bell   16.7 yards of concrete
3.  drill is  25' down  27 yards of concrete.

I am also thinking that all of these specs "assume" that you will have sections
6n - 1w which I don't so that should give me some relief.
my concrete/tower  guy wants to go 10' and put a massive pad at bottom of piers
to give it weight.
I am going to ask my trackhole person how much of a "bell" he can put at bottom
of 14' with his trackhole.  I mean the main hole is 3' right so that gives him
room to go down and then scrap out 2' all way around right?  Guys am I way off
here?

I only get to do this once so am looking for good input from this list.

thanks terry