[TowerTalk] Prop pitch magnetic reed switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop pitch magnetic reed switch
From: "Mel Whitten" <mel@melwhitten.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:40:27 -0500
I am using a larger prop pitch rotator with a M2 RC2800P-A controller and
Mike's reed switch conversion kit for sending the digital pulses.  For several
days, the rotor was operating intermittently.. motor would run a couple seconds
and then stop. After a few attempts to get it to run normally, it would start
working again and all was well.  I found when the rotor was working OK, the 11v
DC digital pulse was about 5ms in duration and repeated every 25ms in Mode 0
and Speed 5. When it was not working, the pulses were not present.  A
continuous short across the pulse leads (less than 2 ohms) was observed.  At
the rotator, I pulled the cover off the motor and confirmed the magnetic reed
switch was "stuck" closed.  A light "tap" on the switch however, opened the
contacts. I ran the magnet across the switch again while observing the Simpson
260 and contacts closed but remained closed after moving away from the magnet.
Again, another tap and the circuit opened back up.  It appears
  the contacts are sticking... or it is possible the switch itself has become
magnetized?  Maybe just enough to hold them closed until subjected to a slight
vibration?  If so, is it possible to degauss the switch?  The switch mfg
appears to be G R I, p/n P-20-A with mfg date of 1-Q-97.  I was not successful
in finding this switch on in my search on the net. M2 responding quickly and is
sending a new switch.  I am sure this will fix my problem, but just curious
about the failure.  I've been using this prop pitch for about 2 1/2 years, but
I believe original owner did not have it in service very long. Has any one had
a similar experience with their prop pitch? Any comments would be appreciated.

Mel, K0PFX
St Louis