Re: [TowerTalk] Cage vertical

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cage vertical
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:07:32 +0000
Tom:

     FWIW - All the cage type installations I've seen in print have used
insulating material for the spreaders.  For example, the K1ZM support for the
wires of  his shunt-fed tower uses wooden dowels in the form of a cross.  I use
PVC pipe in the form of a T.  And the cage dipole articles in QST and the
Handbook have all shown insulated, cross-arms, usually wood.

     If you attempt to use aluminum, you have the issue of mechanically
connecting the metallic spreaders to the copper wire.  Then you have the issue
of sealing this connection to prevent Galvanic corrosion.  Then you have the
additional issue of weight....

     Maybe I just answered the question for you.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F