Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:09:56 -0400
At 11:43 21-07-05, David Jordan wrote:
>I think the hobby needs more and better mentors, more and better
>examples of good operating practices. Fewer exclusive radio clubs and
>less in-fighting.  None of these needs are served by a 5-10-20wpm code
>requirement if the experience of the past 40 years is any test.

I firmly believe that in order to be permitted to write an amateur exam at
any level you should be required to complete an approved training course
and be taught not just the fundamentals of radio that will be examined, but
operating practice, procedures and good on-air conduct. I would also like
to see more of the trivia-questions from QRZ.com replace the real-world
exam questions -- many are vastly more relevant!

- pjd

W2IRT