Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com,Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:05:40 +0100 (BST)
--- Tom Rauch W8JI wrote:

> Then he and his assistants missed a very basic point
> at the
> root of what causes radiation.

Almost certainly. My point was that he does not (or
did not) think he had missed anything. He clearly
imagined that he had uncovered a previously
undescribed mechanism which would permit efficient
radiation from a small antenna. Most experts consider
that his reasoning was fundamentally flawed. That does
not mean that any serious attempt to advance the
'state of the art' should be immediately dismissed
just because it does not conform to conventional
thinking, and most particularly when that attempt is
made by an individual who is highly qualified in the
field.

--- Bill Aycock W4BSG wrote:

> It is fine to defend the CFA "inventor" , but you
> are in error when you use phrases like "out of
> Hand", because he has been pushing his error for
> over 19 years.

I am certainly not defending him! I agree that there
has been plenty of time, plenty of empirical evidence,
and enough peer revue to make it pretty clear that he
is just plain wrong. It would however have been unwise
to have dismissed his claims before proper practical
and theoretical analyses had been made by
disinterested parties.

My comment about the loop was not about the QST
article, but rather about a disagreement primarily
between Professor Mike Underhill, G3LHZ, of the
University of Surrey, and John Belrose, VE2CV, over
the efficiencies to be expected from small loops. Both
sides have produced a lot of mathematics to prove
their cases, which are however incompatible. I rather
think that VE2CV is (more) right, but so far as I know
neither side has conceded.

It is most unlikely that there was a baby in either of
these baths. It is just possible that one day there
may be.

73 Roger
VE3ZI