[TowerTalk] The CW filter and dumbing down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The CW filter and dumbing down
From: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:30:46 +0100
Hello All,

Every OLD TIMER is aware, or at least should be, he must burn today what
he loved yesterday........, exept basics and CW ......
But what's in a name " HAM " .........today?

In the mean time I fully agree with John NE0P.

Jos on4kj

Jos on4kj

  _____

CW   FOR  EVER.

You must have, at time, thought into the past,
When some things go out, while other last,
What comes to my mind is the Old Morse Code,
That has weathered the storms from any abode,

To talk with ones fingers, is surely an Art,
Of any info you care to impart,
In most conditions the signals get thru,
While the same about phone is simply not true.

Those Didhs and Dahs cut through the trash,
Of nearby noise or lightning's crash,
To the sensitive ears of the ham receiver,
Who records this data with ardent fever,

He knows he's doing something unique,
(in such poor conditions, that's quite a feat!)
To roger the message that came from the air,
These brass pounders sure do have the flair,

They say Morse ops are a dying breed,
But don't despair, there's always that need.
That when conditions get rough for the new automation,
Be rest assured, there'll be need for your station,

CW is dying? Believe it never,
This mode will be 'round for ever and ever,
But one thing is sure, what we really need,
Is to relay our knowledge to the younger breed.

To carry the torch, long after we're gone,
To send Morse Code thru the air like a song,
When at last, Silent Key pull that final lever,
We can rest in peace, it's CW for ever.

Jim Haterley WA1TBY

Seventh of April Nineteen hundred and eighty five.