[TowerTalk] Bolts - Another Favorite Topic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bolts - Another Favorite Topic
From: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:57:39 -0500
The mystery tower( http://wat.midco.net/kk0sd/tower/tower.htm )is down.
Most of it is in very good shape, but I probably wound up breaking 30% of
the bolts.  These bolts are shown near the bottom of the page.  I don't
think I can find carriage bolts like the ones I removed, and I don't think I
want to anyway as several spun in place and had to be cut off (lots of
work).

A trip to the hardware store yielded several possibilities, so I thought I
would check the wisdom of the group.

Grade 5 very shiny chromed steel
Grade 8 very shiny chromed steel
Grade 5 black
Grade 5 gold
Grade 5 dull gray (carbon steel?)
Grade 5 stainless steel

I didn't see any galvanized bolts near the size I need.  I assume I want the
stainless bolts and nuts, am I right?

Also with all the paranoia in the tower business, why aren't lock washers
used just to be sure nothing will come loose?

Thanks and 73,
Joe
kk0sd